Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Broccoli Update

Calabrese that was planted early has produced well and been harvested - some in late June, some July. The purple sprouting Broc. didn't do so well - went to seed, I think. We have later sowings of broc and cabbage that got planted out last week.

I was trying for a minimal dig method, having read all about beneficial worms in the book 'The earth moved' by Amy Stewart. I had the beds covered in black plastic for a long time so the weeds and grass were all gone. So I just made a hole, and put the plants in. This resulted in a fairly low lying bed, so the plants got a bit waterlogged in the downpours, but they seem to be mostly surviving. I have 6 each of the broc, and about 15 cabbages - if even half survive, we'll have plenty.

Also rescued some leeks from languishing in pots, made big holes, put the leeks in and then filled them with water. about 10 leeks - it will be interesting to see how they fare. They possibly should have been planted out earlier.

1 Comments:

At 4:16 p.m., Blogger tempsfou said...

Hello Anne,

I've visited your blog and think it's just brilliant! It's a simple and effective way of informing, educating and bringing people together.

I was hoping to get in touch with you directly.

I work in a ngo for sustainable development and I've entered you on our website as provider offering information on urban gardening.

This is the link:
http://www.cultivate.ie/new_directory/forestry%2c_food_and_farming/grow_your_own_food.html

We also have a courtyard in Dublin City and have had courses during the summer.

I'd like to tell you more so if you could please contact me this is my email: josephine@cultivate.ie

Thanks and Great work with the blog!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home